Skip to main content

Famous Movie Quotes applied to Software Engineering - Cool Hand Luke

I thought it might be a bit fun to do a series of blog posts where we take a famous movie quote, and apply it somehow to QA/Testing or even the software engineering life-cycle.

This is one famous movie quote, and I think it applies greatly to Engineering in general (or anywhere in fact)! I don't think a week has gone by in my career where I couldn't have uttered the following:

What we have here is a failure to communicate (Cool Hand Luke)

I saw this quote (although I haven't seen the film), and I don't even think it needs any explanation....

But I'll explain anyways! I would say that 80% of problems that are in a workplace are down to a failure in communication, if a bug is found, a failure to communicate the effects of the bug properly can lead to a false severity, or a false priority. That's not the only time when a failure to communicate can be damaging, especially for QA, but a failure to communicate when understanding requirements or when explaining what you are testing can lead to a misunderstanding and unnecessary confusion.

Stay tuned for more quotes from top films such as Top Gun, Casablanca, Forrest Gump and more!

Comments

  1. "I'll be back".
    That infamous bug that keeps on returning because the regressions tests don't cover it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that's a good one! I hadn't thought of that one... I had thought of one from the same film though, but I'll share that at a later date!

      Delete
  2. What would you link to 'I think we're going to need a bigger boat'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.testingthewaterhouse.com/2013/08/youre-gonna-need-bigger-boat-jaws.html

      You read my mind!

      Delete
  3. That quote is wrong. What he said was "what we have here is 'failure to communicate' "

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pleasantly surprised to see this meshwork of amazing words.
    resumeyard.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. great.
    http://www.testingthewaterhouse.com/2013/08/famous-movie-quotes-applied-to-software.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is a PBI?

After my last post, I had the question of what is a PBI... so I thought i'd write a short blog post about what they are and why they are used. A PBI is an acronym for Product Backlog Item. It is a description of a piece of work that your SCRUM team will develop and deliver. When you have a list of Product Backlog Items, you then refer to that collective list as a Product Backlog. The product backlog is often prioritised and yourteam will work through each PBI, and release on a regular schedule... I am however going deep into the world of Agile development, which isn't entirely what this post is about, so I will stop myself now. A Product Backlog Item is made up of the following: Title - This is often a one liner that gives the team an idea of what the PBI is about, although it can just be an ID for the item and the team work off of that. Description - Breaks down the PBI in a bit more detail, and can be written in any style, however I prefer it to be written as follow...

Coding something simple.... or not! Taking a screenshot on error using Selenium WebDriver

I recently wrote a little function that takes a screenshot at the end of a test if it has errored. What sounded very simple at the start turned out to be quite a bit of work, and quite a few lines of code to handle certain scenarios! It's now over 50 lines of code! I'll start with what I had at the beginning, this was to simply take a screenshot in the working directory, we are using SpecFlow and Selenium to run the tests, so we are going to check if the ScenarioContext.Current.TestError isn't null, if it is, then using Selenium, take a screenshot (note the below code is a simplified version of what I had at the beginning). [AfterScenario]         public static void TakeScreenShotOnError()         {             if (ScenarioContext.Current.TestError == null) return;             var screenshotDriver = Driver as ITakesScreenshot;             if (screenshotD...

The Stickman Tester... The full version complete with deleted "scenes"!

As some of you may have seen, a little while ago I performed a 99 second talk on the Stickman Tester for the Ministry of Testing. Owing to the fact that it had to be 99 seconds, this unfortunately meant that a verse was left out in order to keep it within the time frame! It's only now that I have found the time to put the deleted verse/scene back in, and re-record it and upload it! (It's now a 120 second talk!) It talks about a testers journey in an Agile team, about how not everybody has it as good as others, and basically talks about not giving up, keep searching, or trying to change your role to make it what you want it to be. Anyway, here it is, in all it's glory. Hope you enjoy it!