Skip to main content

Movie Quotes applied to Software Engineering... Nanny McPhee


The above quote as you can see is from Nanny McPhee, and it's as follows:

"When you need me but do not want me, then I must stay. When you want me, but no longer need me, then I have to go"

I think this applied very much to my role as a QA Lead, I seem to spend time with teams who need me, more than teams who don't. This isn't a bad thing, I know teams that don't need me will do fine without me, and by helping other teams I help improve them and improve their processes. I recently read a blog by James Bach here and I think this relates to the above, in that I jump (as James says, A Test Jumper) into help teams as and when I can and as and when it's needed, if teams don't necessarily need my help then I will spend less time with them. Every team is different and has different needs and different level of needs.

I've also said the above to an Agile Coach we had who blogs here, I often said to her that she's only around whilst we need her, and unfortunately once we didn't need her, she had to go, no matter how much we wanted her to stay.

Does this apply to your role? Or are you on the receiving end of this? Either way, feel free to comment, or comment if you don't agree! :)


Comments

  1. Excellent and very exciting site. Love to watch. Keep Rocking. Teknik Menggunakan File Lock PC - Avoid Hang Around Looking, Read through Concerning Cellular Desktop computers Within this article password protect folders xp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant Play Videos In A Folder Lock On An PC - Don't Waste Time Looking, Study About Cellular Desktops Right here aharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I've just been searching for info about this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I've discovered till now. But, what concerning the conclusion? Are you certain concerning the supply? Click here for info: The Ultimate Guide To Encryption Software & You Knew How To How To Encrypt A Password For Free But You Forgot. Here Is A Reminder

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is a PBI?

After my last post, I had the question of what is a PBI... so I thought i'd write a short blog post about what they are and why they are used. A PBI is an acronym for Product Backlog Item. It is a description of a piece of work that your SCRUM team will develop and deliver. When you have a list of Product Backlog Items, you then refer to that collective list as a Product Backlog. The product backlog is often prioritised and yourteam will work through each PBI, and release on a regular schedule... I am however going deep into the world of Agile development, which isn't entirely what this post is about, so I will stop myself now. A Product Backlog Item is made up of the following: Title - This is often a one liner that gives the team an idea of what the PBI is about, although it can just be an ID for the item and the team work off of that. Description - Breaks down the PBI in a bit more detail, and can be written in any style, however I prefer it to be written as follow...

Coding something simple.... or not! Taking a screenshot on error using Selenium WebDriver

I recently wrote a little function that takes a screenshot at the end of a test if it has errored. What sounded very simple at the start turned out to be quite a bit of work, and quite a few lines of code to handle certain scenarios! It's now over 50 lines of code! I'll start with what I had at the beginning, this was to simply take a screenshot in the working directory, we are using SpecFlow and Selenium to run the tests, so we are going to check if the ScenarioContext.Current.TestError isn't null, if it is, then using Selenium, take a screenshot (note the below code is a simplified version of what I had at the beginning). [AfterScenario]         public static void TakeScreenShotOnError()         {             if (ScenarioContext.Current.TestError == null) return;             var screenshotDriver = Driver as ITakesScreenshot;             if (screenshotD...

The Stickman Tester... The full version complete with deleted "scenes"!

As some of you may have seen, a little while ago I performed a 99 second talk on the Stickman Tester for the Ministry of Testing. Owing to the fact that it had to be 99 seconds, this unfortunately meant that a verse was left out in order to keep it within the time frame! It's only now that I have found the time to put the deleted verse/scene back in, and re-record it and upload it! (It's now a 120 second talk!) It talks about a testers journey in an Agile team, about how not everybody has it as good as others, and basically talks about not giving up, keep searching, or trying to change your role to make it what you want it to be. Anyway, here it is, in all it's glory. Hope you enjoy it!