Skip to main content

A Tester goes to Disneyland!

A few weeks ago I went to DisneyLand Paris with the family, and it's the first time I've been to a theme park and really took advantage of the Fast Pass system they have! I have to say it's really great! Especially with kids!

For those that don't know the fast pass enables you to "book" a time to come back to a ride and go on it, it's invaluable with kids especially as it meant we'd spend less time queueing, and as good as my kids are at queueing (we are British after all!) it's not the best way to spend a holiday! Luckily for us it wasn't too busy and the longest time we queued was probably around 30 minutes.

It got me thinking and wondering how it went, which is generally a Testers mindset, asking How is this even possible? Why is this happening? How does it work?

Anyway, I did a bit of googling, and sure enough someone else had asked on Stack Overflow of all places how it works, and it's a way of scheduling rides for people, and ensuring that rides aren't being unused elsewhere. From Disney's perspective ensuring that people aren't standing around in queues is great, as it means they'll be spending money potentially or even just getting more rides in and having more fun! A happy theme park is a good theme park!

The link to StackOverflow is here...

We do this in testing/engineering as well, especially with regards to automation and running CI builds! We schedule our CI Builds generally to run at a quiet time, so as to not interrupt with anything else that might be happening. Or even in just scheduling when we can test something or deploy something, ideally we want to test things first in isolation so as to isolate if anything is broke then we know the reason.

Or if we are waiting to test something, and we know we have something already in test, then it makes logical sense to spend our time testing that and not sitting around doing nothing whilst we wait for the other thing to test!





Comments

  1. Great Blog! If you are not sure or confident about anything than ask questions and clear your doubts about that particular matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Very helpful info particularly the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this particular info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck. professional web design

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoah this blog is great i love reading your posts. Keep up the good work! You know, many people are hunting around for this information, you could aid them greatly. a math tuition singapore

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is a PBI?

After my last post, I had the question of what is a PBI... so I thought i'd write a short blog post about what they are and why they are used. A PBI is an acronym for Product Backlog Item. It is a description of a piece of work that your SCRUM team will develop and deliver. When you have a list of Product Backlog Items, you then refer to that collective list as a Product Backlog. The product backlog is often prioritised and yourteam will work through each PBI, and release on a regular schedule... I am however going deep into the world of Agile development, which isn't entirely what this post is about, so I will stop myself now. A Product Backlog Item is made up of the following: Title - This is often a one liner that gives the team an idea of what the PBI is about, although it can just be an ID for the item and the team work off of that. Description - Breaks down the PBI in a bit more detail, and can be written in any style, however I prefer it to be written as follow...

Coding something simple.... or not! Taking a screenshot on error using Selenium WebDriver

I recently wrote a little function that takes a screenshot at the end of a test if it has errored. What sounded very simple at the start turned out to be quite a bit of work, and quite a few lines of code to handle certain scenarios! It's now over 50 lines of code! I'll start with what I had at the beginning, this was to simply take a screenshot in the working directory, we are using SpecFlow and Selenium to run the tests, so we are going to check if the ScenarioContext.Current.TestError isn't null, if it is, then using Selenium, take a screenshot (note the below code is a simplified version of what I had at the beginning). [AfterScenario]         public static void TakeScreenShotOnError()         {             if (ScenarioContext.Current.TestError == null) return;             var screenshotDriver = Driver as ITakesScreenshot;             if (screenshotD...

The Stickman Tester... The full version complete with deleted "scenes"!

As some of you may have seen, a little while ago I performed a 99 second talk on the Stickman Tester for the Ministry of Testing. Owing to the fact that it had to be 99 seconds, this unfortunately meant that a verse was left out in order to keep it within the time frame! It's only now that I have found the time to put the deleted verse/scene back in, and re-record it and upload it! (It's now a 120 second talk!) It talks about a testers journey in an Agile team, about how not everybody has it as good as others, and basically talks about not giving up, keep searching, or trying to change your role to make it what you want it to be. Anyway, here it is, in all it's glory. Hope you enjoy it!