Skip to main content

How to get the testing team together? Part 1 - Hold testing lunches...

Apologies for the lack of blog posts recently, just been very busy and finding it difficult to sit down and actually write something that I feel that people will want to read...

I've been busy mainly at work, but also with home life too, so it hasn't all been work work work...

However, I digress, I have recently taken the initiative to start trying to build a sense of community within the testing team here where I work. I'm trying to do this in a number of ways, one way is the introduction of a Testing Lunch.

What is a Testing Lunch?



A Testing Lunch (I really couldn't think of a better/more catch word... any ideas?) is a lunchtime session where testers voluntarily (and I emphasise that word) come for an hour lunch where we talk about anything to do with testing. This will hopefully lead to the testers genuinely wanting to talk about testing and get discussions going with testers who possibly work on areas that you've not worked on or maybe done some cool test work that someone has been doing that they want to share with others.

I was worried that we'd start them and then have nothing to talk about for a whole hour... but for the first session I asked everyone what they wanted to get out of the session, and we came up with a backlog almost, where if nobody volunteers or has anything they wish to discuss we simply look at the board and pick off the next thing on the backlog.

So far we've covered, Performance Testing in an Agile Way, and I hope that people have taken something away from that.

How to make people attend?

Well this one is easy... Cakes! :) Also I think the fact that it's voluntary (again I emphasise voluntary!) means that people only come if they want to, and so far we've had an average of about 6/7 people turn up which isn't bad considering I'm asking people to give up their lunch, although I'm not sure if it's a willingness to talk about testing that makes them come, or the cakes... Either way, so long as people are talking I don't mind :)

What next for the lunches?

Well I hope that we'll work our way through the backlog and maybe even get other people outside of the testing team to come and do some talking about things that may affect the testing landscape, for instance, mobile apps would be interesting, or our Application Lifecycle Management team could come and we could ask questions about how it all affects testing. It's important however not to cross the divide between Testing and "work", we're talking about Testing as a passion and hobby not as work, so I think it's essential that we don't cross over work into the lunch, as then it just becomes another meeting.

I hope this is something that continues for a long time as I see a lot of value in it, even for welcoming new members of the testing team as we are always welcoming new faces and seeing others go.

What are we talking about?

As I mentioned we have a backlog of items to discuss if needed, this includes (but isn't limited to):

  • Performance Testing in an Agile Way
  • Knowledge sharing across teams
  • What makes a good Agile Tester?
  • How can we improve?
  • Where will testing be in 5 years time?
  • What's the difference between testing and QA?

A lot of the topics above are just to start a debate, I'm interested in learning what the people in the testing team think about the above, as I'm sure there interested to hear what others think as well.

We're currently holding them every week, and people are still attending, so that's a promising sign. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is a PBI?

After my last post, I had the question of what is a PBI... so I thought i'd write a short blog post about what they are and why they are used. A PBI is an acronym for Product Backlog Item. It is a description of a piece of work that your SCRUM team will develop and deliver. When you have a list of Product Backlog Items, you then refer to that collective list as a Product Backlog. The product backlog is often prioritised and yourteam will work through each PBI, and release on a regular schedule... I am however going deep into the world of Agile development, which isn't entirely what this post is about, so I will stop myself now. A Product Backlog Item is made up of the following: Title - This is often a one liner that gives the team an idea of what the PBI is about, although it can just be an ID for the item and the team work off of that. Description - Breaks down the PBI in a bit more detail, and can be written in any style, however I prefer it to be written as follow...

Coding something simple.... or not! Taking a screenshot on error using Selenium WebDriver

I recently wrote a little function that takes a screenshot at the end of a test if it has errored. What sounded very simple at the start turned out to be quite a bit of work, and quite a few lines of code to handle certain scenarios! It's now over 50 lines of code! I'll start with what I had at the beginning, this was to simply take a screenshot in the working directory, we are using SpecFlow and Selenium to run the tests, so we are going to check if the ScenarioContext.Current.TestError isn't null, if it is, then using Selenium, take a screenshot (note the below code is a simplified version of what I had at the beginning). [AfterScenario]         public static void TakeScreenShotOnError()         {             if (ScenarioContext.Current.TestError == null) return;             var screenshotDriver = Driver as ITakesScreenshot;             if (screenshotD...

The Stickman Tester... The full version complete with deleted "scenes"!

As some of you may have seen, a little while ago I performed a 99 second talk on the Stickman Tester for the Ministry of Testing. Owing to the fact that it had to be 99 seconds, this unfortunately meant that a verse was left out in order to keep it within the time frame! It's only now that I have found the time to put the deleted verse/scene back in, and re-record it and upload it! (It's now a 120 second talk!) It talks about a testers journey in an Agile team, about how not everybody has it as good as others, and basically talks about not giving up, keep searching, or trying to change your role to make it what you want it to be. Anyway, here it is, in all it's glory. Hope you enjoy it!