Skip to main content

Famous Movie Quotes applied to software engineering - Casablanca



I like to think of the above quote can be applied to newly formed agile teams starting up, and the relationships between the members of the team, the Developers, the QA members, the scrum master and anyone else connected to the team.

Obviously not every team succeeds and blossoms into a beautiful relationship, but I don't think I've been on a team where there hasn't been at least the foundations of a good solid relationship in the team. Maybe I've been blessed, but I like to think that every one buys into what we are trying to do, and I also like to think that we all help members of the team come out of their shell by talking to them and discussing with them any problems that we have in a way that's not condescending and just generally a friendly manner.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is a PBI?

After my last post, I had the question of what is a PBI... so I thought i'd write a short blog post about what they are and why they are used. A PBI is an acronym for Product Backlog Item. It is a description of a piece of work that your SCRUM team will develop and deliver. When you have a list of Product Backlog Items, you then refer to that collective list as a Product Backlog. The product backlog is often prioritised and yourteam will work through each PBI, and release on a regular schedule... I am however going deep into the world of Agile development, which isn't entirely what this post is about, so I will stop myself now. A Product Backlog Item is made up of the following: Title - This is often a one liner that gives the team an idea of what the PBI is about, although it can just be an ID for the item and the team work off of that. Description - Breaks down the PBI in a bit more detail, and can be written in any style, however I prefer it to be written as follow...

Coding something simple.... or not! Taking a screenshot on error using Selenium WebDriver

I recently wrote a little function that takes a screenshot at the end of a test if it has errored. What sounded very simple at the start turned out to be quite a bit of work, and quite a few lines of code to handle certain scenarios! It's now over 50 lines of code! I'll start with what I had at the beginning, this was to simply take a screenshot in the working directory, we are using SpecFlow and Selenium to run the tests, so we are going to check if the ScenarioContext.Current.TestError isn't null, if it is, then using Selenium, take a screenshot (note the below code is a simplified version of what I had at the beginning). [AfterScenario]         public static void TakeScreenShotOnError()         {             if (ScenarioContext.Current.TestError == null) return;             var screenshotDriver = Driver as ITakesScreenshot;             if (screenshotD...

The Stickman Tester... The full version complete with deleted "scenes"!

As some of you may have seen, a little while ago I performed a 99 second talk on the Stickman Tester for the Ministry of Testing. Owing to the fact that it had to be 99 seconds, this unfortunately meant that a verse was left out in order to keep it within the time frame! It's only now that I have found the time to put the deleted verse/scene back in, and re-record it and upload it! (It's now a 120 second talk!) It talks about a testers journey in an Agile team, about how not everybody has it as good as others, and basically talks about not giving up, keep searching, or trying to change your role to make it what you want it to be. Anyway, here it is, in all it's glory. Hope you enjoy it!