Skip to main content

Importance of Unit Tests

Anyway I'm writing a post on creating my first set of unit tests by myself for a small console app that a colleague created, and I thought to lead up to it I'd write a brief post explaining the importance of unit tests, why they're important and how they can make our lives as QA easier.

Wikipedia defines Unit Testing as "unit testing is a method by which individual units of source code, sets of one or more computer program modules together with associated control data, usage procedures, and operating procedures, are tested to determine if they are fit for use". So essentially, in everyday terms, it's the smallest possible piece of testable code.

Some people would argue that unit tests are a developers task, but I feel being the first form of QA on the code, that it's only right that as a QA you should play some role in coming up with then. Now you don't have to be able to write the unit tests, but at the very least you should sit down and come up with the scenarios, and maybe even pair program on writing the tests, if that's what floats your boat. 

The overall driving factor behind unit testing is that it's cheaper to fail fast and early, the cost of fixing a bug increases exponentially the further down the development cycle it's found, with Unit Tests they give you instant feedback when a test fails.


If a unit test fails it's often easy to debug and quick to see why it failed, even better if the unit tests are run at check in and fail the check in if any unit tests don't pass, this way it encourages developers to code better, and to make sure that unit tests are passing and testers only ever see good quality builds being deployed, and time isn't wasted sitting around waiting for a working build.

Unit Tests are quick and easy to run and maintain, unlike UI tests, they aren't brittle, they don't rely on interacting with a User Interface. Unit tests ensure that the code does what it is expected to do, whereas acceptance tests ensure that the application does what the business/users expect it to.

It's also important to get involed as a QA in coming up with scenarios in unit tests, often if a test is covered by a unit test then it might mean there isn't a need for an acceptance test to be written and run(obviously this is very much specific to the codebase etc).



Comments

  1. What does Programmers dont want to write Unit Tests ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I think you should try and educate them, and the business. Often it's not developers who don't want to write unit tests, but time constraints stopping them from writing them. If you can convince the business and the developers of the value in spending that little bit longer writing unit tests, the benefits will be tenfold.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is a PBI?

After my last post, I had the question of what is a PBI... so I thought i'd write a short blog post about what they are and why they are used. A PBI is an acronym for Product Backlog Item. It is a description of a piece of work that your SCRUM team will develop and deliver. When you have a list of Product Backlog Items, you then refer to that collective list as a Product Backlog. The product backlog is often prioritised and yourteam will work through each PBI, and release on a regular schedule... I am however going deep into the world of Agile development, which isn't entirely what this post is about, so I will stop myself now. A Product Backlog Item is made up of the following: Title - This is often a one liner that gives the team an idea of what the PBI is about, although it can just be an ID for the item and the team work off of that. Description - Breaks down the PBI in a bit more detail, and can be written in any style, however I prefer it to be written as follow...

Coding something simple.... or not! Taking a screenshot on error using Selenium WebDriver

I recently wrote a little function that takes a screenshot at the end of a test if it has errored. What sounded very simple at the start turned out to be quite a bit of work, and quite a few lines of code to handle certain scenarios! It's now over 50 lines of code! I'll start with what I had at the beginning, this was to simply take a screenshot in the working directory, we are using SpecFlow and Selenium to run the tests, so we are going to check if the ScenarioContext.Current.TestError isn't null, if it is, then using Selenium, take a screenshot (note the below code is a simplified version of what I had at the beginning). [AfterScenario]         public static void TakeScreenShotOnError()         {             if (ScenarioContext.Current.TestError == null) return;             var screenshotDriver = Driver as ITakesScreenshot;             if (screenshotD...

Testers: Be more like a Super-Villain!

Who doesn't love a Super Hero? Talk to my son, and he'll tell you how much he loves them, talk to many adults and they'll say the same! Deep down, we all love to be the Super Hero, we all want to save the day! However, I want to talk about the flip side of Super Heroes, the Super Villains... I often play Imaginext with my son, and I (unfortunately?) am nearly always the Super Villain! Be it Lex Luthor, Joker, Two Face, Mr Freeze or The Riddler! These are all great characters and great Super Villains, but why would I want to write about Super Villains? A while ago where I worked, we had a few Super Heroes, people who would be able to come in and "fix" things that had broken and help deliver projects on time. We then shifted, we decided to do away with the Super Hero culture and try and prevent from being in that position in the first place, whilst we didn't go as far as wanting to hire Super Villains, it's definitely a story that has stuck with me and t...